Hoskins

Hoskins

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Our Little Cowboy is Three!

Once or twice in the course of my life as a mother, I have been told that I was a little, well, over the top when it came to my children. Although I want everyone to know that that is an entirely false claim, and that I have the utmost self-restraint and unfaltering moderation when it comes to my children--it seems that just this once I had to make a tiny exception.

Let me explain...

You see, our sweet little son Spencer recently had his third birthday. It has been the pattern in our family to throw little birthday parties for our children. However, since Madison's 4th birthday included a pilgrimage to the American Girl Store in New York City with all of the bells and whistles, not to mention tickets to see the world famous Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall, (all very under-the-top I can assure you!) I thought we needed to do something extra special for Spencer's birthday this year. For months I stewed over what we could do that would get him really excited and make him feel equally special and recognized. Spencer, Maddi, and I often brainstormed thematic ideas of everything from dinosaurs and pirate ships to race cars and construction vehicles. As his birthday drew closer--and by closer I mean two or three months out--it became clear what the theme of the party should be. Anyone remember this picture?



Yep, it was going to be a cowboy party! We already had the hat and boots for Spencer, and I knew just which stamp-set I would use for the invitations. Soon I had researched cakes and had the perfect cowboy hat fondant birthday cake picked out as well. Since the party was going to be held out in Utah, and I was also very preoccupied with our up and coming move, I decided that the party favors and party games could be sorted out later. In the back of my mind, however, the wheels were still turning and I felt unsure about how we could make this party extra special.

Weeks passed, and then months. We moved our things from our apartment in Pennsylvania into a storage unit in Minnesota. Then we took two weeks to visit family and friends in Oklahoma. While there I made the invitations to the party, but I still lacked the crucial idea I was searching for.

Soon we left Oklahoma and flew out to visit friends and family in Utah. The birthday party was right around the corner, and still, I was searching. Then, one afternoon as I began planning out party games and party favors, the light finally came on! Duh, what does every little cowboy need at his cowboy party? Why, a horse of course, or at least a pony!! And so, while I truly believe in moderation, just this once I had to splurge. And he was the cutest little horse you've ever seen. Actually, the whole party was one of our best birthday parties yet. Here are a few pictures of the extra special day.

Some of the party decorations.



A close up of the cowboy hat birthday cake.



A couple of cowboy cuties.



Some of the kids working on their paper bag cowboy vests.



Some of the kids decorating their sherriff's badge cookies.



Some of the kids shooting cans off of the board with their water guns.



Emmie and her little cowboy love, Grant Groberg. Every time these two little ones got together they just couldn't stop hugging each other.



Spencer taking the first ride on the little horse.



Maddi riding the horse.



Emmie on the horse.



All of the kids at the birthday party.



Happy Birthday Spencer!! We hope your cowboy party was everything you ever dreamed it could be!

6 comments:

Chris & Mal said...

Wow. Those party activities are genius! Hope the move goes smoothly. -Mal

Matt said...

Never over the top. You are the shining example of moderation in all things. Ha!

The McArthur Family said...

Darling! Darling! Darling!

Amy Eaton said...

In true Jamie fashion! Love it! how are you feeling? Life is always so busy cal me!

The Hille's said...

Once again you have managed to out do yourself!!! How do you do it? I don't know how you can top this party, but I look forward to seeing what you come up with next!!!
Your kids are just adorable!

Brenda said...

Since when did you have a pattern of doing "little" birthday parties? You crack me up! Nothing you two do is ever "little". Glad to hear you are alive.