Hoskins

Hoskins

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Our Girl's Day Out

While some people think it is strange, I have decided that I will only have birthday parties for my children until they are three years old. Yes, you read that right, three. There are a host of reasons for this decision including, but not limited to, the fact that I am insanely picky about what toys my children have and I don't want to deal with the drama of who to invite as children grow older. In lieu of parties, Nick and I decided that as they get older, we will make our childrens' birthday celebrations more private and personal. Since four is the first year without a party, we decided that for our kids fourth birthdays we would do something extra special just with family members. (i.e. Maddi's fourth birthday trip to the American Girl Store in NYC). Then, beginning with their fifth birthday, they can invite one or two of their closest friends and have a special birthday outing.

Maddi is the first of our children to reach this milestone age, and after careful consideration, we planned a fun outing to commemorate her special day. The theme for this outing was to be "A Girl's Day Out". And what do girls do best? Well, shop of course. So, I constructed two darling purse invitations and invited Maddi's best friend and her mother to join us for lunch and an afternoon of shopping. In addition to purse invites, I also created two lovely purse cakes for the girls with real coins baked into the batter just like my grandmother used to do. I also gave the girls each some money to shop with.

Here is a photo of my handiwork.



We had a lovely time at lunch,



and the girls were so cute as they shopped and shopped.



The highlight of the shopping trip; however, was a stop in the jewelry store to get Maddi's ears pierced. She had asked and asked during the previous year, and so I told her she could have them done for her fifth birthday. In all honesty, I thought she would back out, but, she fearlessly jumped into the chair and bravely endured the piercing without a single tear. (The local anesthetic Daddy provided probably helped a little with that! Hey, a doctor husband has to be good for something!) She is so proud of her new earrings, (If I wouldn't have been such a nervous wreck I might have thought to get a photo!) and the "big girl" status they afford her. Truly she is a big girl, and such a beloved daughter and grand-daughter. She is a joy to have in our family, and such a good helper.

Happy Fifth Birthday Maddi! And thanks for a fabulous girls day out!

2 comments:

Spencer Family said...

This is such a good idea! Your invitations and cakes are adorable! Happy birthday, Maddi!!!

The McArthur Family said...

Those cakes are beyond adorable! Happy Birthday, sweet Madison!