Hoskins

Hoskins

Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Polaris Dragon

While front row Wicked tickets was a pretty spectacular Christmas gift, little did we know what Grandma and Grandpa Hoskins had in store for Valentine's Day. Aside from sending each of the kids a little card with some shopping money, we also got a surprise phone call from Grandpa Hoskins on Valentine's weekend.

"Well," he declared. "I just went and bought another little snow mobile for the grand kids the other day, and it got me to thinking. I have four grand kids in Utah, and four grand kids in Minnesota. Now that I have two little snowmobiles for the grand kids out here, it just doesn't seem right that my grand kids out there should go without. So, I want to buy you guys a little snowmobile. I found one up in northeastern Minneapolis. When can you go pick it up!"

I think Nick just about jumped out of his seat when he got the call. And he was ready to go and pick it up on Valentine's night. After I vetoed this idea, he quickly re-arranged his schedule and we made the near four hour (round-trip) trip up to the cities a few days later to load up a beautiful little Polaris Dragon snowmobile. The kids could hardly wait to give it a go. Here are a few photos of their first day out on the new snow machine.









It seems like once upon a time I said I wasn't going to let my kids drive a snowmobile by themselves until they were eight. Well, somewhere in the excitement I must have forgotten. And yes, that is my four year old pulling my one year old on a sled, and my six year old driving my one year old and pulling my three year old on a sled! What can I say--I've gotten soft in my old age!

And after spending a day outside, we couldn't call it a day without constructing a super sledding slide out of the snow that was packed on the staircase leading up to our deck. It could have been really bad news had anybody hit the side of the staircase on the way down, but as it turned out, we all survived (and enjoyed) our own version of the Olympic skeleton!

No comments: