Daddy and the boys got to work dissembling the crib, while mommy and the girls switched out the linens. It was a wonderful night, and not nearly as emotional as the night we finally took down the cradle for the last time.
Pretty soon the room changed from looking like this:
To looking like this:
And when it was all done, Mason was in heaven! He climbed right up onto the bed, his favorite bedtime story Goodnight Moon in hand, and laying on his tummy began to flip through the pages. That night, when I went to rock him to sleep in the rocking chair, he informed me he wanted to lay in his bed. It was a coming of age moment, and though it was hard, I kissed him on the cheek and laid him in his new bed. "By me" he commanded. And I was happy to comply. Then, much to my surprise, he closed his eyes and went to sleep! Incredible. After six and a half years, we're out of cribs and cradles. And after six and a half years, we're done rocking babies to sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment