Hoskins

Hoskins

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Ahoy! You Arrrr Invited!

Well, its hard to believe it, but Mason is finally three, and along with the traditional breakfast in bed serenade,
 

 
three at our house means the last year for a birthday party in true Hoskins style.  I didn't know if I had it in me to do one more, especially after all of the exhaustion of our move, but somehow I summoned up the energy and gave Mason a third birthday party to remember. 
 
The theme for this party I picked years ago when I found the "Ahoy Matey" Stampin' Up stamp set.  I knew in that minute that a pirate party was in our future, but it never seemed to work out for our little Spence.  Consequently, I knew Mason's third year party would have to fit the bill.
As part of the party, I of course ordered a pirate ship cake pan, though I have to confess that when it came right down to it, I simply frosted the thing instead of starring it.  I also cheated somewhat this time around by simply buying party favors instead of making them.  The favors included eye patches and pirate bandannas, treasure chests full of pirate gold, and pirate spyglasses.  It all looked pretty good as we set up for the party, and Mason was as excited as I have ever seen him as he donned his pirate attire and waited for the guests to arrive.


 
Soon our apartment was full of little mateys and we kicked off the party by coloring pictures of our favorite Disney pirates.


Then we had a pirate cake walk, (yes this is our favorite party game!)


a pirate treasure hunt,
 
 
and we sang yo-ho to the birthday boy at the top of our pirate lungs!


Mason loved it, and all of the kids were surprised to find their was actually a little pirate treasure hidden inside their cake too.  Money cakes are a McArthur tradition, and the pirate ship was almost as good for hiding money in as the purses I made for Maddi's fifth birthday.
 

 
Then came pirate presents.


And pirate playtime.  It was super fun, and very satisfying as a mother to see such at happy little boy at the end of the day.  Nothing makes your hard work worth it more than a big hug and kiss and a declaration that that was the best day ever!
 
Then tonight, for Mason's actual birthday, (his party was on the 17th) we went to Space Aliens Restaurant (aka the North Dakota version of Chuck E. Cheese) and enjoyed pizza, alien ears (aka scones) and games.  Mason loved it!

 
 I can't believe our littlest love is three!  I know I say it at every birthday post, but where oh where does the time go?

No comments: