In God’s eternal plan, salvation is an individual matter; exaltation is a family matter. -Russell M. Nelson
Hoskins
Sunday, October 20, 2013
Classic Snapshot
Nick pulled this photo off of a recent video he made of Mason and I. It was too cute not to post, and I have to take a moment to explain it. When I made the decision to keep on homeschooling this summer, my original plan was to start Emma AND Mason in kindergarten this year. Mason is still two years out, but he is such a smart little whip, I knew I could start him and he would keep up. Then, one day Emma overheard me telling someone this plan and became very upset. She wanted to have her own kindergarten year--Mason wasn't old enough yet. After much thought and prayer, I decided that even though it would make a lot of extra work for me, I really needed to preserve Emma's self esteem by complying with her wishes. Consequently, I have left Mason out of most of our kindergarten course work. He often listens in when I am working with Emma though. In fact, tonight he brought me Emma's phonics book and opened it to the little phonics stories I have Emma read me each day. "Mom, I want to read to you," he said. Then he proceeded to read me several of her stories. I was somewhat floored. Nick overheard and grabbed the video camera. Mason read a few more lines on camera and then in pure exultation paused and gave me a super high five. He was so pleased with himself! I was pretty pleased too. After all of the reading struggles Spencer and Emma have had, it will be wonderful to have another child who simply teaches themselves how to read! Just another way Maddi and Mase are so much alike. Way to go little man!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment