Hoskins

Hoskins

Monday, April 2, 2012

Which lot to choose?

After our wonderful two months in Florida, the time finally came to return to our home in Rochester.  Well, when I say "our home," what I really mean is the Gillete's home.  They have been kind enough to let us house sit since we currently have no home and they are still going to be staying in Florida another month.  Then, when they return home in a month, we'll move again, this time into the Wooten's home.  And six weeks later, we will move, yet again, but this time down to Arizona for another two month Mayo rotation.  It should be a crazy few months, but we're pretty resilient, so hopefully we'll survive!
 
Speaking of homes though, our lack of one in Rochester seems to have spurred us to take extra care to secure one for when we move out to Bismarck.  Consequently, shortly after we returned from Florida, we turned around and made another trip out of town, this time in the opposite direction.  When we arrived in Bismarck, we drove straight to our lots and parked there for quite some time. 
 
 
These are the second set of lots that we have had under contract, and we're just not sure that they are the lots we want to keep.  They don't look like much from the pictures, but they are actually some of the best lots in town--so much so that we will be paying a premium if we actually purchase them.  They are large lots that sit right atop the bluff in Bismarck's high-end Promentory Point.  The large back yards terminate into the "Cooley," leaving you a bit more privacy, not to mention a view of the valley and surrounding hills.  Luckily for us, the temple also sits on a bluff just across the cooley, making our back windows of the house all face towards the House of the Lord.  They are beautiful lots, but to acquire them both is going to be a small fortune.  Additionally, sitting right next door to these lots, but in the newer phase of Promentory, is a lot that on it's own is the same same as the two we have under contract, but half the price.  The way that the road curves and the hillside juts make it a large, flat, even more perfect lot.  The only problem is, it is in phase V of Promentory instead of phase IV.  That would mean an extra year wait if we wanted to claim it.  Hmmmm.  What to do, what to do?
To further complicate things, we found another neighborhood on this trip that could be nice enough to induce us to give up our Promentory lot and head out of town a bit.  This neighborhood, called Hawktree, is a few miles out of town and is built on the Hawktree Golf Course and Country Club.  The lots here are much cheaper, and much bigger. And look, this one even has a tree on it!  (Just for clarification, by the way, to anyone who has never been to North Dakota, there are actually trees here, just not out on all of this farm land turned residential.)
 

These lots also have that country feel that we thought we would be going for when we chose North Dakota as our new home. Whether or not we actually want to park ourselves so far out of town and then chauffeur our children in six times a day is questionable though. It sounds nice to be out of town, but how practical, I just don't know.  Anyway, the long and the short of it is, we decided not to decide while we were there.  But, the decision is definitely looming.  Decisions, decisions? 
Which lot (s) will we choose?

No comments: