Well, that wonderful time finally came when all of the food in our 72-hour kit expired, and it was time to toss it out and to order anew. Being the conservative spenders that we are; however, and seeing as how we are actually banking on being able to eat this stuff in an emergency, we figured that we would take all of the food and have an honorary MRE family meal night rather than just tossing it in the rubbish bin. What a fiasco that was! The MRE's were barely palatable, and most of my kids voted to starve rather than force them down. Even I couldn't make it through enough to take the edge off of my hunger. Nick scarfed it up, but in our mock emergency, the rest of us simply perished with hunger. Actually, we snuck a little Little Caesar's Pizza after Nick took off for work, but he was none the wiser. Us, on the other hand, well we knew not to replace those nasty things with another load of cardboard flavored dog food. Instead we filled our 72-hour kit with a much more appetizing assortment of power bars and trail mix. As such, I guess the night wasn't a total loss. And I did learn my lesson about storing something I had never tasted before--Don't!
No comments:
Post a Comment