Since Halloween fell during the week this year, I wanted to come up with something clever to do for my seminary kids to make the day festive and fun. I knew that I would have to wear my Harry Potter garb to class--robes, sorting hat, time-turner necklace, etc., but how I was going to work it all into my lesson was yet to be determined. I stressed about it for weeks, and then the week of Halloween arrived, and a small miracle occurred. We ended up taking two days on a lesson that was supposed to be covered in one day. This may not seem miraculous to anyone but me, but it shifted our lessons so that Section 28 fell on Halloween day. Of course, this is the section where Hiram Page gets reprimanded for receiving revelations through his own seer stone. Now, I didn't come to class wearing Harry Potter robes and pretend to have received a revelation for our ward, but I did bring my Harry Potter wand and perform the legilimens charm (mind-reading charm) on several of my students. I used magic number cards to tell them what number they were thinking, and then we used this object lesson to talk about false prophets, the hierarchy of revelation, etc. It was a Halloween gift from heaven. It also, as many of my seminary lessons do, lead to a teaching moment with my children. Since I practiced my mind-reading skills on them before I performed them in my seminary class, they were curious about the section we were covering and the meaning behind the object lesson. They all wanted to go to seminary with me that morning, and were anxiously awaiting my arrival when I returned. They wanted to know all about my lesson and how the mind reading went. Then, after I told them all about it, they finally got me to cave and tell them the secrets to my performance. Since then, they've been holding mind-reading sessions with all of their friends.
It's hilarious, and just another example of seminary creeping into the lives of my whole family, not just mine. This is hands down the hardest calling I have ever done in my life, but the truth is, I hope they keep me in it until I die! The blessings completely outweigh the sacrifice.
No comments:
Post a Comment