Hoskins

Hoskins

Sunday, November 23, 2014

The Birthday Boy!

As winter sets in, so does birthday season in the Hoskins' home.  Daddy and Spencer share summer birthdays, but the rest of us squeeze in our special days in-between Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, and Valentines.  It's a crazy time of year to say the least! Crazy, BUT FUN!  And no child looks forward to his birthday at our house more than  baby Mason.  He's been counting down the days until his fifth birthday since the day after his fourth birthday last year.  Sometimes his asking gets tiresome, but as the actual day of his birthday grew closer and closer, the rest of us couldn't help but share in his excitement. 


This year, Mason's birthday got started a little bit early with what is a new experience for him--the birthday outing.  He's been the last of our children to get through his birthday parties and family trips.  Now, he joins the big kids in having birthday outings in place of parties.  He was originally a little bit troubled by this changeover, mostly over the lost of presents, but when he and Payton Wayment arrived at Space Aliens for lunch and an hour or two of gaming, I think he got over it pretty quickly.


They had a total blast, and were so cute to watch as they snarfed up the pizza and partied in the arcade.  It's such a different experience from the last birthday outing I went on, with Emma, to the nail salon.  And while I happen to be a girl, and I love doing girly things with my girls, I wouldn't trade these little men in my life for anything in the world.  They are their own breed, for sure, but so fun in their own right!

It's also just so much fun to take the kids out one at a time.  We're pretty attached at the hip as a family.  We do practically everything all together, and I think everyone really likes it that way.  Birthday outings; however, are the one time it is just them.  It's tempting at times to include others, and sometimes we have, but it's so good when I resist the temptation and they get this little piece of individuality.  It makes me love each one of them all the much more!
A few days after the outing, it was time for the actual birthday celebration with all the usual traditions.  First, birthday breakfast in bed, complete with candle and gifts.


Then, it was birthday fun of whatever sort we could dig up.  For his special day, Mason was extra lucky because a few of our regularly scheduled activities suddenly became birthday "outings" as well.  First off was birthday treats at art.  At the beginning of the year I decided to pull the kids out of their after school art program and instead work a little more closely with the art teachers to develop a home school art class that was more tailored to my wants.  Rather than just doing art, the kids would study a country each month complete with a look at its culture, music, food, and of course, art.  Once they get to the art portion, the teachers pick a few artists from that country to focus on, and then they learn art techniques or try their hand at painting famous paintings.  It's wonderful, and the kids love it.  Some day I'll teach them a real art history class and we'll spend a month touring art museums in Europe, but for now, this will have to do.  Anyhow, the kids had art today, and since they are on Italy, I ordered a bunch of traditional Italian desserts from Olive Garden and brought them to the art class for everyone to enjoy.


Following art, it was home for a quick lunch and then our turn to host Mason's little boys play group.  The play group boys likewise enjoyed birthday fun with our little man.  They played with his new play dough for the first hour, then sailed around in our homemade Viking ship, and after much begging, convinced me to cut into the pirate birthday cake meant for the evening portion of our celebration.  They are such a cute group of boys, ones that I hope will stick around and grow up with my own special guy.


By evening, when the Anderson's came over for cake and ice cream, it had been a full day of fun.  The birthday boy didn't seem to mind though, and after blowing out yet another set of birthday candles, he finally got to open the big present of the day.




Yes, we caved and got him the motorcycle.  And to say he LOVES it might be the biggest understatement of the world.


The motorbike capped off a wonderful day, and sent a little boy to bed with a smile on his face.  Happy Birthday baby Mason!  I don't know that I can call you my baby for much longer! 



No comments: