Hoskins

Hoskins

Sunday, November 22, 2009

He's Here!!

Mason McKay Hoskins made his grand entrance into the world at 6:04 a.m. on Friday, November 20th, 2009. He is healthy and handsome and we are so glad he is here!! He was 8 lbs 8 oz and 19 3/4 inches long. Here are a few pictures of our little man.

About 2 minutes old.



With an exhausted mommy.



On the scale.



Getting cleaned up.



With a happy daddy.



About 12 hours old.



Despite our past labor experiences, I was convinced I was going to go into labor on my own with this delivery. Unfortunately, this did not occur. Instead, we went into the hospital for a scheduled induction on Thursday evening. Rather than going right on Pitocin, my doctor decided to start me on Cytotec first and see if that would do the trick. Within two hours, I was having regular contractions. Since I was contracting on my own, I thought I would get to skip the pitocin this time around, but the resident on call wanted to augment the delivery by giving me the pitocin anyway. (Darn those residents!!) I warned her that my body doesn't agree with pitocin--and that if she wanted to put me on pitocin that I wanted the epidural right away. She would not give her consent; however, so, much to my dismay, I started the pitocin with no pain relief. Just as I predicted, the pitocin sent me into hard and fast labor. They finally called for anesthesia, but an emergency C-section was holding them up. They checked me at 5:46 pm and the resident said I was only dilated 4 centimeters. Eighteen minutes later, at 6:04 p.m., Mason arrived. Unfortunately for me, he arrived before the anesthesia team. (You'd think with a husband in that department, we could have worked something out--but no!) I guess I misunderstood the very strong impression I had that I would have this baby on my own. I thought for sure that I would not survive the experience, but I have, and ironically I have felt better after this delivery than any of my others. We came home after 24 hours, and we are loving our newest addition.

11 comments:

Heidi Sollars said...

Congrats!!!!! He is so adorable. He looks just like your other children. Enjoy every minute with him.

Allison said...

Congratulations Nick and Jamie! Crazy story...he's adorable!

The Anderson Family said...

You are amazing! He is adorable and we can't wait to see him grow up.

Michelle said...

Congratulations! We're so happy and excited for you guys! He's gorgeous!

Texasgirl said...

Ahhh....he's adorable!!! Congrats on the new addition. All our love: Jason, Robin, Aspen, Marshall & Bree.

Ducksoup said...

congratulations! he is so adorable. glad you survived that whole experience... i love the name mason. i would love to name a baby that but ryan thinks mason meier sounds funny. i'm still not convinced and think the name is adorable. anyway, hope the recovery goes well.

The Hille's said...

Congratulations! It is no fun having a baby without an epidural when you are not planning on it, but like you said, we survive. Glad the baby is healthy! He looks just like the other muchkins!

Brenda said...

You're right Jamie, Mason is gorgeous! Congrats!

The McArthur Family said...

Hip, hip hooray for Mason McKay! Warmest congratulations you guys! I can't wait to give that beautiful little baby lots of Auntie hugs and kisses!

Spencer Family said...

Congratulations you two!! I'm sorry you had to go through it without an epidural. It reminded me of when I had Tanner. Hard pitocin induced labor with no anesthesia... PAINFUL!!! Miss you guys!

Jenny Groberg said...

Jamie, I was asking Susan how you guys were doing and she gave me the link to your blog. We are so happy for you guys! Congrats! You are so lucky to have 2 boys and 2 girls! He's so handsome and looks just like spencer. Nicely done!