Some of you may have noticed that our dear little Emma, who recently turned two, seems to be getting less, not more hair as she has gotten older. At first I thought I was just imagining it. Then I noticed that she was beginning to sleep with her hands behind her head and I thought she was simply pulling it out. Over time, however, I knew it was more serious than I first suspected. I told Nick about my suspicions, but he scolded me and told me I was just being vain. (That's why they say doctors families get the worse care ever-by the way!) Then I took it to some family friends and also asked my parents if they had noticed any changes. Eventually, I took her into the pediatrician, and then into a specialist. The diagnosis they arrived at this week is this: Diffuse Alopecia Areata--an auto immune disease where the body attacks its own hair follicles leading to hair thinning, breaking, and even sometimes baldness. Since Emma doesn't have the typical bald patches, but more just overall thinning and breaking, the doctors think that her case may not be chronic, but rather an acute outbreak that should resolve without lasting consequence. They told us these outbreaks are often caused by a single stressor disrupting the child's life. At first I thought that this was crazy! What could Emma possibly be stressed about!? But then I realized that I started noticing the hair loss shortly before Christmas! And what happened at our house shortly before Christmas? Mason McKay Hoskins, of course. Poor little Emma. Talk about feeling like a bad parent! Can we say GUILT! I knew Emma was having a bit of a hard time, but apparently she was having a worse time than we realized. And I thought I was the one who was supposed to be pulling out my hair over the new baby!
At any rate, I want to thank all of you who kept her in your thoughts and prayers. We were relieved to hear the doctors' opinion that it was an acute case, and that she seems to already be entering the regrowth phase. I'm also so grateful that this happened when she is young enough to not really be cognizant of the condition.
As part of her recovery, the doctor recommended that we document her hair regrowth so that we can make sure everything is timely and normal. So, I thought I would include these photos on our blog.




As you can see, most of her hair has completely thinned out and broken off. There is a small circle of hair right on the crown of her head; however, that has somehow miraculously kept its length. It doesn't look so bad if you pull it up, but since her hair is so fragile still, we really aren't supposed to be using rubber bands, etc. in it. I suppose I will have to cut it off eventually so it doesn't look totally ridiculous, but I just can't bring myself to do it quite yet.
Oh our beautiful Emma, we love you so!
And by the way, for those of you who see us frequently and think that this pink (or blue in Emmie's words) nightgown is the only thing Emma ever wears--you're absolutely right. She is obsessed with it and refuses to wear anything else when we are at home. She will let me get her dressed to go somewhere
if she can carry the nightgown with her; but, she pulls this thing back on the minute we walk back through the door.
2 comments:
Oh No! I hope that it grows back soon and isn't to serious.
Oh, I'm so glad everything is going to be alright. She's such a BEAUTIFUL little girl.
Post a Comment