As part of Emma's Joy School Curriculum, it recommended that the Joy School children and their siblings make a trip to a near-by nursing home and favor the residents with a children's production of the Nativity Story. I was a little skeptical about this undertaking at first, but as Emma knelt on the nursing home floor wrapping a little dollar store dolly in her version of swaddling clothes, I was quite touched by the simplicity of it all. She was so happy to get to portray Mary, her all time favorite scriptural character, and the elderly patrons at the nursing home simply loved watching the kids put on the show.
Afterwards the kids sang some carols and handed out candy canes and home made Christmas cards. It was actually really fun, and really good for the kids to have that opportunity to serve. I think all who were present would agree that it was a welcome reminder of what it is the
Christmas season is all about.
No comments:
Post a Comment