Well, here we are again, on another Hoskins' family first day of school. Our schooling has felt like a bit of a saga as of late. First we home schooled, then we public schooled, then we home schooled again. Back and forth back and forth...what to do??
Ever since we received and acted upon the impression to home school, I have always preferred the at home education model. Nicholas; on the other hand, has always dragged his feet a bit on following that inspiration. Consequently, I complied this last school year and we sent Madison out into the world, out to be our public school guinea pig. She did great, and we really didn't have a bad experience with school, but by mid year she had begged enough to come back home. We checked her out of school and brought her back to us. It was a bittersweet day, but immediately the quality of our homeschooling was improved. Spencer and Maddi were back in there two-some, back in their comfort zone, and as a result, Spencer's school attention and determination were renewed and improved. With Maddi next to him at the kitchen table, he was suddenly able to focus and soon we scaled his painful six or seven hour school days back to the appropriate four or five fun hours. It was such a blessing. It let us get back to doing many of the Science and History lessons that had been missed during the beginning of our year because Spencer simply wasn't getting his other work done in time. (Hence the lack of posting on our home school blog!) Madison just made everything feel complete at home again,and we all adjusted quickly to her being home and got back into the groove of our old ways.
For a few short months, I felt at peace with schooling. Then; however, the decision for the coming year began to creep upon us. Nick wanted the kids to go back. The Anderson children wanted the kids to go back. And I felt all torn up inside. I wanted them to stay home. I wanted them to be happy though, and I worried about having three to home school. Three! I was lost for a decision. Lost without any clear spiritual direction. I poured over it for weeks, then months, until finally, the night before the deadline to report our schooling status arrived. I still didn't know what to do! I prayed that night before bed, and that night, for the first time in my life, I had a dream sent straight from heaven. It was a dream I will never forget, and I wept freely for over an hour after I woke up. The kids were to stay at home. For now, and likely, for good. Perhaps there will be some addend to that revelation in the future, when the kids are older, but for now, we're going to run with it. So, this morning, on the 26th of August, right smack on Daddy's birthday, we began what is now our fourth year of at home education. And they're a pretty good looking classroom, if I don't say so myself!
That night, after a fun-filled first day, we went to dinner at the newly built Mackenzie River Restaurant to celebrate school, and of course, Nick's birthday.
It was a pretty good day, all around. Cheers to another year, and to little Emma who is so proud to have finally joined the big kids in school. Next year Mason will join us making four in elementary school all at the same time! Crazy! And Perfect! Life is crazy, but oh so good!
No comments:
Post a Comment