Ever since the Andersons closed on their new home a few weeks ago, our eight children have become practically inseparable. We are currently the closest houses to each other on the street--the four houses that will someday be in between us are yet to be built--and the kids think they have died and gone to heaven. Actually, I think the adults feel the same way too. Everyday, right after breakfast, all the kids gather outside and play. It's wonderful, and for the first time in my life, I simply sit in an empty house and wonder what to do. That is, if I'm not sitting on the front porch talking to Jill while they play. It's so crazy to actually have adult neighbors we know. You know, ones you can walk out and chat with over picking up the mail, or sit on the porch with while the kids ride bikes, or borrow an egg from--every day of the week. We've moved so much that I feel like we really haven't gotten that opportunity much. We'll certainly get it here though, and I'm glad the Andersons will be at the top of our street party list.
As part of their move and our new inseparability complex, we also frequently have lunch and/or dinner together, and it seems like our family home evenings tend to meld more often than not. A few days ago, for instance, was a pretty typical day in the life. We got together and took dutch oven dinners out to Harmon Lake for our FHE. The kids swam, kayaked, played on the playground, and ate.
The adults, on the other hand, mostly just ate and watched. We did
do a fair bit of talking as well, and the conversation of the day seemed
to be one of reminiscing. Who would have thought when we met Pete and
Jill nine years ago that we'd have near identical families and follow
each other all over the country? Who would have thought we'd be next
door neighbors and spend the rest of forever being more like family than
friends. Its crazy! And a blessing. It's one of those things that is a
constant reminder to me of the tender mercies of the Lord. He weaves
our lives into a complex tapestry, and every now and then he blesses us
with friends whose tapestry overlaps ours. I guess I can't say what the
future holds, but for now, our lives are intertwined and I'll count it a
great blessing as long as it lasts!


No comments:
Post a Comment