Hoskins

Hoskins

Sunday, December 21, 2014

2014 Christmas Letter



Season's Greetings Family and Friends!
               
As I have read over past Christmas letters, trying to get into the right frame of mind for writing this Christmas greeting, I am struck by the change in sentiments which I feel compelled to express this time around.  Usually our Christmas greeting begins with some phrase describing how "we can't believe it's that time of year again-- time to be writing yet another Christmas letter."  This phrase suggests, as we have felt in past years, that the previous year has simply flown by, and that we cannot believe that Christmas is here yet again.  This year; however, I can honestly say that I have not felt that way.  This year has been a uniquely busy year for our family.  In each passing year, I have thought that our schedule had finally reached its maximum capacity.  This year has taken the cake though.  Consequently, for the first time, I have reached a place where I feel like time has slowed back down and each week feels more like a month than a week.  It's funny how that works.  Perhaps that is why the scriptures teach that there will be no time in heaven.  Existing will simply be measured in thoughts and feelings rather than the ever-present ticking of the hallway clock.
                Anyhow, rather than musing any more about the philosophical, I suppose I should get to talking about the specifics of our year and what has made our family so busy.  At the first of the year, our busyness was largely related to closing on and moving into our new home.  After years of working and planning, the house was finally ready to move into.  It was everything we hoped it would be; however, moving into, furnishing, and finishing the house, as well as landscaping the yard, was its own part-time job.  (We also needed a part-time job just to pay for it all!)  Thankfully, that phase of our life has come to an end, and we now find ourselves simply enjoying the space and stability of having a new home.
                A close second in making our life crazy this year was our travel agenda.  We kicked off the year with a week-long trip to Texas, and then a Disney cruise to Mexico.  Next up was a week-long furniture shopping trip in Utah, followed up by another two-week trip to visit family and sight-see in Washington D.C.  Six weeks after we returned from D.C., it was off to the East Coast yet again.  This time we spent ten days RVing through the Northeast visiting many American and Church History sights.  Our trip culminated with Spencer's baptism in the Susquehanna River on the morning of the Fourth of July.  That evening, we  capped off the trip by watching the spectacular fireworks show over the Statue of Liberty and New York City from a ferry in the Hudson Bay.   This trip was supposed to wrap up our travel for a while, but after receiving a new calling that would keep me home-bound during the school year, we scheduled one more two-week trip to Mt. Rushmore, Utah, and Arizona only ten days after we arrived home from New York.  For a while there, we were gone more than we were home.
                Speaking of new callings, our service in the church has probably been the greatest contributor to our demanding schedule as of late.   Nick has continued to serve as the Stake Executive Secretary, and we have both continued our service in the Bismarck Temple.  About mid-summer; however, I got the shock of my life when Nick pulled me aside in the temple and asked what I would think about being called as the Bismarck early morning seminary teacher.  The Stake President had given him permission to talk to me about the calling since my name just kept coming up, but since it seemed like an impossible fit for our family.  With four kids in our home school this year, and an extra-curricular activity roster to rival any blogger mom, it seemed like there was no way I could possibly put another thing on my plate.  Add that to the fact that Nick would need to leave for work about the same time that I would need to leave for seminary, and it was obvious why the Stake President was struggling with the decision.  He was struggling, and Nick was somewhat opposed, but after a few minutes of pondering, I knew the calling was right.   It would require a selfless volunteer to come into our home every morning and be there in case our children woke up, not to mention the ultimate balancing act to try to keep up with what is truly an impossible schedule, but the Lord has indeed made all things possible for our family.  As the well-known hymn "How Firm A Foundation" states, He has strengthened us, helped us, and caused us to stand.  He has sent His angels to push our handcarts when we could no longer pull them ourselves.  And He has poured out His blessings upon us as we have sacrificed to do His work.  Early on in the school year, as I prepared to teach Section 4 of the Doctrine and Covenants, the manual suggested I put this incomplete sentence on the board for my kids to respond to:  If we serve the Lord with all of our heart, might, mind, and strength, we...  As I prepared this lesson, the only answer I could come up with at the time was:  we are tired.  That is still my answer today.  Gratefully; however, section 4 teaches us a more profound truth.  It states that if we serve God with all of our heart, might, mind, and strength, we will stand blameless before God at the last day.  That is our greatest desire, and our Christmas wish for each and every one of you this year.  May we each serve God to the best of our ability so that we can be prepared to stand blameless in His presence.  Merry Christmas!!  Happy Holidays!  And may God bless you all!!

Love,
The Hoskins Family

No comments: