Well, as I said a month ago, it's birthday season at our house, and Madison is next in line. Madison is such a blessing in our family that it is truly a joy to celebrate her and her ten years of living. As the oldest child, I sometimes feel like she gets the butt end of the deal. More is expected of her, more is required of her, and everyone expects her to be willing to give up turns or what not because she is "the oldest." Sometimes she gets a little frustrated by her position in the family, but most of the time she simply rises to the occasion and helps out wherever she can. This year she has been an extra special helper, even taking on the role of helping to create worksheets and stories for the little kids' home school curriculum. I would be lost without her and I love and appreciate her for all of her strength and goodness.
As the morning of her birthday arrived, I couldn't help but ponder on these things, as well as feel a little bit guilty that it seems the older one gets, the less magic and excitement there is in special occasions. Everything is kind of old hat, and the presents become more practical--like clothes, and less spontaneous--they've asked for what they want and they pretty much know what all the boxes are. Still, there's something in my psyche that won't let me give up on traditions. So, here we are presenting her breakfast in bed,
And here we are having cake (cheesecake that is) and ice cream with the Andersons.
Madison convinced me to let her have an extra special birthday outing
this year, since ten seems so significant, but we couldn't make it work
until a few days after Christmas. So, stay tuned for later word on the
rest of her birthday celebration. And, in the meantime, Happy Birthday
Maddi love! We love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment