Hoskins

Hoskins

Sunday, May 22, 2011

The End of the World As We Know It!

Well, in honor of the end of the world, which did not transpire yesterday, (yeah, I know, I write these posts long before I actually post them!) I thought I would write up a post with my own two cents about when the end of the world might be. My own mathematical calculations would suggest that doomsday will fall on Christmas Day of 2012!!

Ha, Ha!! I'm totally kidding! And I'm not about to speculate on when that wonderful day might be. But, I will offer up a rather interesting experiment to anyone who gave any thought to the end of the world this week. This is an experiment I have in fact been taking for about ten months now. It didn't originally start out as an experiment; but as time has passed, I have realized that perhaps it is more of one than I really realized when I started it. Let me tell you my story, and then I will offer my own "end of the world" challenge.

In September of last year, a brother in my ward approached me after one of my Gospel Doctrine lessons with a book he wanted me to read. Having caught on to my passion for studying the prophesies of the last days, he said he really thought I would enjoy this book. The book was called: As a Thief in the Night. A soft bound book, it actually looked more life a college syllabus than my usual heavy duty gospel scholarship. And the author, Roger K. Young, was not a name I recognized. Still, I am kind of obsessed with the last days, so I thought I would give the book a go. First I glanced through the title page skimming sections labeled "the last great plagues," "the three great woes," "wars and rumors of war," "the cleansing of America," etc. It looked pretty typical for a "last days" book, so I packed it in my suitcase and took it on our family road trip.

During the road trip I read the book, some to myself, and some out loud to Nick. It was a fast and interesting read. Much of the book was scriptural reference, though, much of the book was also personal speculation by the author. While I thought some of his ideas were good, others seemed a little off the wall to me. All in all, by the end of the book, I was glad I had read it and I bought my own copy for my personal library. Though I didn't agree with everything that the author suggested, I did feel like the text contained a resource of quotes from the general authorities concerning the topic of the last days. One of those quotes, the vision of John Taylor, recorded in Wilford Woodruff's journal, I posted on our blog last year. There are many others worth posting, but unfortunately time does not allow me to type them all up for your reading pleasure. I would; however, like to take the time today to post just one more of these quotes. This is known as George Albert Smith's Vision of the Last Days. Before getting to the quote, let me just give some background on it that I managed to find online when I was looking to verify it's reliability.

The vision was recorded by David Hughs Horne, the son of Dr. Lyman Merrill Horne and Myrtle Swainston Horne. David is one of the great-grandsons of George A. Smith, cousin of the Prophet Joseph Smith and counselor to the prophet Brigham Young. President George Albert Smith was his grandmother's first cousin. In 1988, David went to the office of the church historian to ask permission to search George Albert Smith's journal for an entry on his prophecy about the destiny of America. David had heard him make this prophecy during a family visit President Smith had made to his home. He remembered much of the vision, the prophet's words having greatly impressed him, but he wanted to search out an entry to learn more about it if he could. The church historian was unable to produce President Smith's journal. As a result, David felt compelled to write a letter detailing what he could remember from that night and give it to church officials.

In his own words, David said he "recorded this as a witness of [his] friend and cousin, George Albert Smith's description of a prophetic vision he saw." The full text of his 1989 letter can be found online and is worth the read if you have a minute.

The Church responded to his letter with a statement that said in part: "Reference is made to your copyrighted letter dated October 20, 1988, which you describe as a paper documenting your recollections of a visit by George Albert Smith to your home....We are advised by the Historical Department that in conference talks there are found references by President Smith to atomic bombs, wickedness, and great destruction. The repeated message in these talks is that the people should repent in order to avoid these problems." As far as I know, there was no reprimand given him for having written or distributed the letter. Rather, a simple warning lending itself to the fact that perhaps we should focus on obedience and repentance rather than atomic bombs.

At any rate, this is what I know about the quote. So, with that background, let's get onto it. The portion of the quote found in "As a Thief in the Night" is as follows:

"I have had a troublesome vision of another great and terrible war that made the war just ended look like a training exercise, and people died like flies. It began at a time when the Soviet Union's military might dwarfed that of the United States, and we, that is the United States, would have missiles that carried an atomic bomb in Europe. I saw the United States withdraw its missiles to appease the Soviet Union, and then the war began."

He also said that we would have big missiles in deep holes he described like grain silos which the Soviets would try to destroy by their own missiles. They would hit military installations and certain cities also. He said that the President at that time would be of Greek extraction. Until then all the presidents would be of British or Northern European ancestry. He continued that the U.S. would be bound by numerous entangling alliances and would take away weapons owned by the people. He talked some about the initial attack and the ground warfare, but I can't remember enough to document all their tactics and in which countries various things occurred. One tactic, especially in Europe, was to transport thousands of tanks in big trucks like semi trailers on the super highways to have them located where they wanted them when the war was to begin. During that explanation I asked, "What about the Atomic Cannon?" to which he answered, "I didn't see anything like that." Then he said, "The aftermath was dreadful. Think of the worst, most difficult times of the depression." He turned to us children and said "You won't remember the depression," which was true. I didn't know there was a depression as I was growing up; the sun came up every morning, flowers bloomed, we went to school, and there was church every Sunday. But he repeated to our parents, "Think of the worst condition of the depression. Can you think of something?" to which our father answered, "Oh yes!" Then President Smith continued, "You know how Sunday School picnics are complete with salad, chicken, root beer, and dessert, and everyone has a wonderful time. That worst time of the depression will seem like a Sunday School picnic when compared with how conditions will be after that great war."
It was also mentioned during the conversation that this great nuclear attack would take place on a holiday after the new president was elected, but before he took office.

Interesting, huh. Kind of sensational, but interesting nonetheless. When I read this quote I couldn't help but wonder if it was true. Perhaps some great destruction was coming to America, and perhaps this quote was narrowing down a timeline. It would begin on a holiday between the time a new president was elected and inaugurated--so, either Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Year's on an election year. It couldn't be just any election year though, it had to be one in which the new President was of Greek extraction instead of British or Northern European ancestry. Hmmm. Was there anyone running in the 2012 election cycle that was of "Greek extraction?" Okay, I confess, I did some researching. No one currently fit the bill though, unless, as a few said, the Greek extraction was to refer to Barack Obama. Or unless General Patraeus decided to run last minute.

At any rate, as silly as all of this is, it got me to thinking. What if? What if it all came to a head as soon as the next election cycle? At the time I was reading the book it was about two years out from the 2012 election. Two years. This thought prompted me to start using a phrase that many have heard me say in recent days: "I'm on the two year plan." I wish, however unlikely it may be, that it all would come to a head in 2012. I wish that the cleansing of America would then begin and set into action the major events that still have to transpire before Christ can come again. I cannot deny that I long for that day, no matter how many terrible things must come before. And wishing, and believing, made me realize I was yet unprepared. It made me realize that I needed to further get my own house in order. If I was really going to be on the two year plan, then I had a few things still to sort out.

And sort out I did. During the last ten months I stepped up the game in both temporal and spiritual preparation. I completed our year supply of food, clothing, and household items, and made a list of items I would like to purchase in the next year. These items include a generator, a gun, (yes, can you believe it!) and some other self reliance tools. I've mapped out a way to afford them and we're on the road to purchasing them. I have also set out to more fully study and understand the scriptures and modern prophecies as pertaining to the last days. And I have been talking a lot more about the last days with my children, who are already well versed in last days terminology. It has been challenging and refreshing to look at my life and think of what I would do differently if I knew that this cleansing was in fact coming in two years, with Christ's return not long after.

And so, with the end of the world on everyone's mind, even if crazy old Harold Camping is the one who got it there, I say we take advantage of the thought and do something productive with it. That's why my end of the world challenge is to play pretend with me. Pretend the destruction prophesied to come to America is coming, in two years. Make an imaginary deadline for yourself. Pretend like it's real. Think about what you would need to change to be ready--both temporally and spiritually. Then change it. Really. Change it. People always think there is more time. They have excuses why they can't save some more money, or get out of debt, or afford or manage food storage, etc. etc. But I have a feeling, if you knew it was two years away, you'd find a way. So try it. Christ isn't going to appear tomorrow. There is still too much yet to be fulfilled. But perhaps if we aren't prepared to survive the plagues and wars and "woes" spoken of in the scriptures, then we won't be around to see when those bigger more obvious signs of the times are fulfilled. Do you really think you can wait for the announcements of temples in Jerusalem and Jackson County, or a calling home of all of the missionaries, or the revealing of new scripture to get prepared. Perhaps I'm wrong, but through a more intense study of the last days, it has become my opinion that these big prophesies that have yet to be fulfilled, and will be dead giveaways of Christ's return, will be fulfilled after much of the destruction. Incredible faith, obedience, and endurance will be required to witness them. And I for one want to be amongst the chosen. Don't you? Try the challenge. See what it does in your life!

Oh, and by the way, here is an interesting forum response I came across just the other day when I was checking out Jon Huntsman's genealogy. (Doesn't he look sort of Greek?!) The question was raised, in connection with the GAS quote as to whether there was a Greek candidate in this election cycle. The reply was this:

Re: Greek candidate?

by Mullenite Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:12 pm

President of Greek Extraction

I came across an interesting take on the portion of GAS dream about the election of a President of Greek extraction by John Pratt. Just food for thought...

The 1980 Which Wasn't
Allow me now to venture into the realm of wild speculation, which seems permissible in an article about parallel universes. What if the vision of President Smith helped to change the course of the world in a way that prevented World War III from happening about 1980?

In 1980 Brezhnev was in power in Russia, having aggressively expanded the Russian nuclear missile arsenal. We were going through a period of Russian appeasement by disarmament. There was much pressure to remove the Pershing 1 missiles, which had atomic warheads, from Europe. Our Minuteman missiles were in deep holes, which are indeed still called "silos." Also, it has since been found that Russia had plans to strategically place tanks around Europe by transporting them in large trucks. Michael Dukakis, of Greek extraction, had been elected governor of Massachusetts in 1974, and would later run for President against George Bush in 1988 on a strong platform of gun control. Thus, many of the points of the prophecy were bulls-eyes.

Michael Dukakis, of Greek extraction, ran for president. But the rest of the prophecy was not fulfilled. Dukakis didn't even run for President until 1988, and when he did, he lost. Ronald Reagan was elected president in 1980, and he strengthened our missiles in Europe by deploying the Pershing 2 missiles in 1984. Our guns have not been confiscated. Russia did not push the button to start a war, but there is evidence that they came close to it in 1983 because they were at the peak of their power, and they wanted to prevent us from upgrading the Pershing missiles.[5] Most importantly, World War III still has not commenced, nearly a quarter-century later.

Did President Smith do anything that might have helped to change world history? Since we are in the realm of speculation, here's one possibility. After World War I, strong reparations were put on Germany to punish them and it caused a huge amount of resentment. In a very oversimplified analysis, that resentment fomented until it produced a Hitler who retaliated with World War II. The Allies might well have followed a similar course of action after World War II which could have resulted in the World War III in the vision. After the war ended in 1945, acting President Smith sent the apostle Ezra Taft Benson to Europe in early 1946 to reopen the missions and to head up a huge war relief effort, for members on both sides of the conflict. The LDS Church provided many needed supplies to the war victims. Elder Benson induced the devastated saints in victorious countries to donate needed supplies to their enemies who had so violently abused them.[6] Thus, the Church set the example of forgiving ones enemies, which was nearly unheard of as a post war procedure. That example may have influenced the United States to follow suit with the Marshall Plan to reconstruct Europe in 1947.[7] Under that European Recovery Plan, 13 billion dollars was given to 16 European countries, with the most going to Great Britain, France, Italy, and Germany. Clearly Elder Benson's work was noticed nationally because he was called to be Pres. Eisenhower's Secretary of Agriculture from 1953-1960. Because Germany was not punished for the war, it is much more of a friend to us now. So it seems just possible that the vision of George Albert Smith might have led him to contribute, along with many others, to changing the course of history in a way that prevented that particular scenario for World War III. I believe the Dukakis was the Greek President who never was, and that it is now too late for that vision to be fulfilled. Of course, all the prophecies in scripture will still be fulfilled, and a different World War III is still very possible, but we would do well not to wait for a Greek President to be elected before obeying the living prophet's counsel to obtain a year's supply.


Just food for thought.




No comments: