I don't know if anyone remembers, but last November, after we failed to coordinate a 2nd birthday party for our baby Mason, I vowed to do something to make it up to him. I thought that I might do some kind of half birthday party, or something similar. Then, as Madison's birthday approached and her options for having a birthday outing dwindled, I sat the kids down and had a little conference. I asked the kids (all except Emma who was going to have her big birthday celebration in Florida) if they would be willing to forfeit their birthday outings this year in exchange for us having one big birthday/going away party in the Spring. Since Maddi didn't have anything special in mind for her outing, and we were once again going to be traveling on Spencer's birthday, making it impossible for him to celebrate with friends, they both quickly agreed. Consequently, we put our time and energy into getting packed and moved, and then let the idea for the party simmer during our two month stay in Florida. Upon returning to Minnesota, the kids kept me on my toes with constant reminders about the party. Finally the weather warmed up and a date and time for the party were set:
May 5th 10:00-2:00.
The theme for the party was also determined. It would be:
A Very Merry Unbirthday!
I had always wanted to do something like this for the kids, and it turned out to be every bit as much fun as I could have hoped. The night before the big party, our whole family stayed up wrapping presents (a variety of boxed treats) for each of the guests.
Then, the morning of the party, we spent several hours getting everything set up at the park we had reserved. First, we set up the Mad Hatter Musical Chairs, complete with music from Alice in Wonderland.
Next, we got the Queen of Hearts Croquet set up. Getting playing cards attached to the croquet wickets was quite the task, but it was nothing compared to being able to actually putt the squish balls we bought through the course. They were simply perfect!
Then we spent our remaining time jumping in the bounce house we rented
until all of the other kids arrived.
(They don't get much cuter than this little un-birthday boy!)
The kids all had a great time jumping and playing games, but I think the best part of the party arrived about an hour in--the pony and the portable petting zoo. Everyone loved the bunnies, and ducks,
and sheep,
and goats,
but petting the animals hardly compared to riding them!
And ride the pony they did. Over and over and over again until our hour with the pony was up. Then the petting zoo packed up and the Little Ceasar's pizza arrived. Now instead of ride, ride ride, we all ate, and ate, and then ate some more. Then we passed out cupcakes, lit them, sang to ourselves, and then all made simultaneous un-birthday wishes.
Afterwards we handed out presents, each inscribed with a whimsical good-bye poem.
The poem read:
Who
"R" "U" the caterpillar asked-- When Alice
passed him by.
She shrugged
her shoulders quite confused-- "I don't
know," was her reply.
And then the
cat appeared and asked her-- where she
meant to go.
She didn't
know that either-- was just
moving with the flow.
And so I ask
the question-- Are we like
Alice too?
Floating
aimlessly adrift-- upon life's
ocean blue?
I'd say the
answer's a firm "no," We know just
who we are--
And where
we're headed down the road--to places near
and far.
Our paths have
crossed for a brief time,-- but now they
must be split--
Remember all
life's who's and where's-- and please don't us forget.
Happy
Un-birthday!
Love the
Hoskins Family
There were some tears as we gave everybody hugs that day. They were un-birthday hugs, as well as going away hugs, for in a few days we will be leaving Rochester for good. It was all very bittersweet, but in truth, I don't think the reality of the move has hit any of us yet. It all just feels like another away rotation, albeit a somewhat extended one. When it will really hit us that we're going away is hard to say, but until then, we just keep living in the moment. And since they were a half an hour late to pick up the bounce house, the "moment" lasted a bit longer than even we expected. And it was a great moment too.
Happy un-birthday everyone! And thanks for making our years in Rochester some of the best yet!
No comments:
Post a Comment