Hoskins

Hoskins

Monday, September 16, 2013

Getting to Know You Day

At school today we incorporated a bit of a public school practice into our private school environment.  In other words, I borrowed an idea from Maddi's public school experience: the Getting to Know You Poster.  The kids and I all know each other, so in previous years this has been unnecessary, but since I decided to hire some home schooling help this year, I thought it would be a fun idea and a fun project for the kids to complete.  I also thought it would be good for them to stand up and give a little presentation on themselves--the closest thing to a public speaking assignment they have got so far.  We intended to do it a little earlier in the year, but we finally got to it today.  Here are all of the kids with their posters.


And here is a shot of the kiddos with their much beloved tutor.  Her name is Becky Geitzen and she is recently home from BYI-Idaho.  On December 18th--right on my birthday--she will leave on a mission to Mexico for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  Until then; however, she is everything from my kids tutor to my personal assistant.  And I don't know how I would be doing it without her.  It is so wonderful to just say, "I'm going to run Mason to preschool and a few other errands.  Can you just finish up reading with Emma and then give the older kids their spelling tests!"  Beautiful!  It is especially nice because little Emma is such a challenge to work with.  She would rather work with Becky than with me any day, so its a good arrangement.  I will be lost when she leaves in December, but we are so excited for her.  


Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention--the kids are simply loving the Spanish lessons she is giving them while she is here! She is a Spanish Education Major and has got my little ninos running around saying all sorts of things I don't understand!

No comments: