Hoskins

Hoskins

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Grandparents Day at Highland Acres



A few days ago, our friends the Andersons had kind of an ingenious little idea.  Their children were having Grandparent's Day/Special Friend Day at school, and since they, like us, don't have a grandparent in over a thousand miles, they decided to hone in on the "special friend" part of the celebration.  In other words, they took the special friend business literally and got permission for our children to fill that role!  I'm not sure what the school teachers thought of a few extra students, but our kids sure thought their day at public school with their best friends was a blast!  Actually, I'm sure I'll hear about it from little Emma for weeks!  It's more hard on her than the others to have to stay home instead of "going and playing all day with Kelly!" And if I'm a hundred percent honest, a was a bit hard on me too.  Even though I love homeschooling, and feel certain this year it is what we are supposed to be doing, there is that little twinge of...I don't know...sadness when I remember my own public schooling experience growing up. I just don't want my kids to miss out on any quintessential life experience!  Plus, it's kind of strange to take my kids to the school they would be attending, to the very classrooms that would sit in, (Its actually kind of an exclusive little public school with only one classroom per grade.) and hang out for the day.  I shed a few tears when we got home.  Then, the next day, it was back to school in our world. 

No comments: