Hoskins

Hoskins

Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Question of Mt. Rushmore?

After a fun-filled three day weekend in Island Park and Yellowstone National Park, it was finally time to make our way back to Minnesota; but not without squeezing in one more special outing. While we traveled to Utah along I-80 and the Mormon historical sites, we traveled home from Utah along I-90. This took us straight through Wyoming and into the sacred Black Hills of South Dakota. This was a special destination for our family. None of us have ever been to the state of South Dakota, making it the first new state we have all entered together. (And bringing me to a total of 46 and Nick to a total of 45 total United States visited.) Although it added a few hours to our driving time to take this northern route, it was well, well worth our trip.

While in the Black Hills of South Dakota, we drove the beautiful mountain byways, camped in Custer State Park, and visited the two famous mountain carvings in the area. Yes, two. Most of you are probably familiar with this carving in Mount Rushmore:





But how many of you could name this second mountain carving?





It is called "Crazy Horse" and is located only a short distance from the better know Mount Rushmore. We actually visited Crazy Horse first, and to be honest, I think it changed the way I saw and thought about the Presidential faces looking down at me at our second stop. In brief, the Crazy Horse monument is a tribute to the great Native American Indian named Crazy Horse, a Chief and Warrior among his people. The idea of making a monument to the Native Americans appealed to me, but upon learning that Crazy Horse was famous for his slaughter of Custer's men, I felt a little taken back. Why would they be building a monument to an Indian who slaughtered so many Americans? After looking into the project a little, I think my answer to this question is as follows: As a response to the American Presidential Monument erected at Mt. Rushmore. The Indian's considered the Black Hills of South Dakota to be sacred. They faught desperately to keep this land, but were eventually forced to live on reservations in other areas. When the idea for a mountain carving in these hills was first suggested, it was orignally supposed to be a tribute to the great exploreres of the west, and the original occupants of the west, namely the Native Americans. Before long, however, the project got redefined. Whether or not the change in scenery was meant as a political statement to the Native Americans, or simply a monument to American freedom, liberty, and progression, it left a bad taste in the Indians' mouth. And to be honest, it left kind of a bad taste in my mouth too. Why did we have to go to the Indian's sacred black hills and carve the faces of our presidents? Wasn't that kind of a slap in the face to the Native Americans? Well, they didn't turn the other cheek. Instead, they commissioned their own artist to come in and carve Crazy Horse. It is monumentally larger than the carving at Rushmore, and is completed funded through private donations. (Several times the artists declined federal money to aid in expediting the project.) It's an interesting project, and one that actually made me have a sudden sadness in my heart for the trials the Native Americans endured. Although their scattering and abuse was foretold years before in the Book of Mormon, I can't help but see the parallel between the Native Americans and the Early Mormon Pioneers. Nobody deserves to be driven from their homes and land. And nobody deserves a monument to be erected to their enemy on their most sacred ground. I can appreciate the message of liberty presented at Mt. Rushmore, as well as the amazing feat of carving via explosives in the mountainside. I can't help but wish; however, that the presidential monument was located elsewhere. I don't mean to be unpatriotic; however, I discovered a new patriotism at this national monument. One that runs deeper, and across layers of time. I also discovered a yearning I have inside of me for real truth, whatever it may be. Sometimes our "history lessons" aren't the only history lessons there are, and perhaps we could all benefit from taking another perspective every now and then. We may never fully appreciate the views of another, but thanks to the questions that arose from my visit to Mt. Rushmore, I will at least try. Thank you Mt. Rushmore. And thanks to Mr. Crazy Horse as well.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Yay crazy horse. I went there as a little girl. I don't think they had finished it yet but I have a childhood picture standing next to the statue. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it!