Hoskins

Hoskins

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My Own Big Day!

Well, I originally thought I would let my own 30th birthday slide by without adding a post to the Hoskins blog. In all honestly, it felt pretty much like any other birthday. I didn't experience any of the birthday blues that Nick and many others went through when they made the leap into their thirties. And I really felt no misgivings about leaving my twenties behind. Not that I minded my twenties, but I have to admit that looking forward to a decade without being pregnant or breastfeeding is reason enough for me to celebrate. In addition, Nick was very thoughtful and made my birthday extra special this year. He contacted many of my old friends to alert them to the special occasion. Consequently, I talked with friends from all walks of life on and after my big day. I was also lucky to have some of my good friends from around Rochester come over to pass the night with games and Nick's culinary specialty: Chocolate Lava Cake. (He learned how to make this just for me--and if you knew how well Nick cooked, you would know that this is a big deal!) It was a lovely day, but not so different from past birthdays. So what made me decide to mention it here in the Hoskins family archives? Well, to tell you the truth, I decided it merited a post after I finished all of my birthday shopping. You see, for the first time in years, I splurged and spent all of my birthday money on new clothes. And not just any new clothes. I got, amongst other things, my first pair of leggings, (as an adult that is) my first drop waist sweater, and my second pair of beloved Ugg Boots. Now this outfit may seem insignificant to most of you, but seeing as how I was born in 1980, I feel like there is something special about my latest wardrobe choice. It's as though my life has come full circle. And I have to confess, even when leggings, bulky sweaters, and boots go out of style again, I'm going to keep right on wearing them--they are stinkin' comfy! Now that's the real joy of being thirty, being self secure enough to just be you.I am glad to have finally joined the club!

No comments: