Hoskins

Hoskins

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Maddi's Birthday Outing

This year, Madison chose quite the line-up for her 6th birthday outing. We had originally planned to have a mini spa day and all get manicures and pedicures for her birthday outing; however, after being quite unsuccessful at finding a spa nearby with mini pedicure chairs (they do exist!) we had to make an abrupt change of plans. After much consideration, we switched from having a spa day to a movie day. The hit Disney movie Tangled help to make this an excellent choice for a birthday outing, and Maddi's suggestion that we have some chocolate fondue back at our home after the movie turned out to be the perfect finishing touch. (And just for the record, this was truly her idea. Much to my relief, she informed me during our planning sessions that birthday cake makes her sick! Hooray!) We even broadened our horizons this year and had not only one of Maddi's best friends, but her two best friends along for the outing. I also decided, with Maddi's consent, the little EmmaLee and a few of her friends could join us for the big day. After all, while it was Maddi's big day, I want to foster as much sisterly friendship as is humanly possible. Plus it helps that Maddi's friends are typically Emmas's friends and visa versa. While this felt a little more like a birthday party than I would have liked, it was still an excellent way to celebrate our beautiful girl's special day.

I wish I would have remembered to take my camera to the movie to get a shot of all of the girls, watching intently, their drinks and popcorn and treat bags in hand. I did, however, remember to snap a few shots of the fondue dipping and the present opening.










Maddi loved all of the gifts and attention, and we are glad to have such good friends to share our family's special occasions with, especially since we have no family close by.

Just as a comical side not, I want to always remember that when we arrived at the movie theater, where I had already pre-bought tickets, we were greeted by six fire trucks and numerous fire fighters busily running to and fro from the theater doors. As it would turn out, the movie theater was in fact on fire. Thankfully, we skirted near birthday outing disaster by catching another showing at the southern Rochester movie theater. Ever since then, anytime we drive anywhere near that first theater, Emma always asks if we can go over and see if the movie is still on fire!


No comments: